Consider these Washing Machine Water Savings Tips.
A washing machine is the second largest water user in your home, with toilets being first. A traditional washing machine uses approximately 41 gallons per load. The best way to lower this usage is to buy a high efficiency washing machine. These machines use 35-50% less water and 50% less energy per load. This will save you money on both your water and energy bills.
No matter what kind of washing machine you have, here are some basic tips that can reduce water use for washing clothes:
- Operate the washer with full loads only – even if the machine has an adjustable load setting. A full load is the most efficient way to wash clothes.
- If your washer has a variable water volume setting, select the minimum amount required per load.
- Pre-treat stains to avoid rewashing.
- Use the shortest wash cycle for lightly soiled loads.
- Check your washing machine hoses regularly for cracks that could result in leaks.
For more information visit: www.H2ouse.org